Northumberland County Council have provided information and contacts for parents/carers in the event of a school closure (see below) which you may find useful to keep for reference over the winter months.
HMS will also pass information to parents/carers via the school website and via email. If you don’t currently receive emails, please contact email@example.com. Additionally, updates will be posted on the HMS social media pages:
If the school needs to close during the day, we will make arrangements for children to leave school in accordance with parents’/carers’ wishes as indicated on their completed School Emergency Closure form, which is sent out at the start of each school year. If you have not yet completed a form, please download a copy using the link below and return it to the School Office. The school will not contact parents on an individual basis unless this has been specifically requested.
Information for Parents from Northumberland County Council
During periods of severe weather there may be school closures or disruption to your child’s Home to School Transport. In these circumstances do you know what to do? Here are some tips:
- Listen to local radio stations – mainly BBC Radio Newcastle (95.4fm); other useful stations are Metro Radio (103.2fm), Heart fm (96 and 100 to 102fm) and Radio Borders (102.3fm).
- Go to the Northumberland County Council website – www.northumberland.gov.uk – and Facebook and Twitter feeds will also be updated.
- The County Council will continuously update news on the front page.
In extreme cases, a school may have to close during the day due to severe weather and your child will be sent home early. Do you have a procedure in place for the care of your child until you arrive home? You could:
- Make arrangements with a relative or close friend to care for your child until you are able to get home.
- Inform the school and transport provider of these arrangements as it may be necessary for your child to seek alternative transportation from school.
- Make sure the school has an ‘In Case of Emergency’ (ICE) contact telephone number.
- Investigate whether your child’s school operates an ‘Emergency Alert Scheme’ and sign up to it.
- Above all, make sure your child is aware of the arrangements.
For more information please call our Contact Centre on 0345 600 6400.