This list shows you the range of activities in which you can take part at Hexham Middle School.
As you will see, there is a wide range of activities which we would encourage your child to try. They are scheduled at lunchtimes and after school. For all clubs which take place during the school day, your child simply needs to go along and join in. For the after school clubs, please ensure that your child collects the relevant letter from the teacher who runs the club and you complete it and it is returned to school. If you have any questions, please contact school.
We believe that a broad and engaging extra-curricular programme is very important and we believe it allows our pupils to:
- Learn new skills or improve existing ones
- Take responsibility
- Represent the school
- Explore and develop gifts and talents
- Make new friends
- Develop character traits including resilience and determination
- Consolidate subject matter
We strive to provide meaningful experiences that are in demand by our pupils and it is actively encouraged that suggestions are made for new club ideas. We are not precious about our extra-curricular offer and accept that this palette of enrichment is dynamic. Pupils can suggest ideas to members of staff, their form tutors or even use our School Parliament as a communication channel.
Please note the sports clubs are weather-dependent and are subject to change if there are upcoming fixtures.
Due to the current pandemic, we have carefully considered how extra-curricular events are able to go ahead. At HMS, pupils are in ‘consistent’ groups or year group bubbles. We have factored this into our extra-curricular offer. As such, no clubs exist as key stage groups this year. Our staff are following guidance to ensure that activities go ahead whilst considering COVID-secure procedures.
Clubs and extra-curricular activities at HMS (2020-2021)
Last updated 16.04.21
We are always seeking ideas for different clubs that may be of interest to pupils. Any suggestion for a club can be forwarded to Mr Freeman-Myers. Pupils can also talk to their form tutor in the first instance. As a school, we will explore the feasibility of new club suggestions in terms of staffing and venues. We will also endeavour to review the viability of clubs. If certain clubs prove unpopular, amendments may be made to respond to demand. For an electronic copy please use this link: Clubs and extra-curricular activities at HMS (2020-2021) (PDF)
- After Easter, new sporting activities will be updated on the club list.
- *Orchestra is currently for Year 8. Pupils are to liaise directly with Mr Holdsworth. Further information will be publicised for other year groups in due course.
- **String Group are to liaise with Mr Holdworth about specific times.
- KS3 Madarin Club will take place every Tuesday evening on a rota basis due to covid restrictions. Week A for Year 7 and Week B for Year 8.
- Lunch rota:
|1st sitting||12.00 – 12.20|
|2nd sitting||12.25 – 12.45|
|3rd sitting||12.45 – 1.05|
|4th sitting||1.05 – 1.25|