Premier League Primary Stars: KS2 Poetry Competition!
Deadline for entries (to be handed to Mrs Roff) is Friday 14 December 2018.
This is a poetry competition which encourages pupils to write poems based on the theme of diversity, using inspiration from the poem written specially for Premier League Writing Stars, Beautifully different, Wonderfully the same by Joseph Coelho (see the link below to download a copy). The poem and subject encourage us to think of ways to celebrate similarities and differences that bring us together, and these are themes that run through this programme.
- There are two age categories – one for pupils in Key Stage 1 and one for those in Key Stage 2 – and two language categories – English and Welsh.
- Individual or group entries are allowed for Key Stage 1, only individual entries for Key Stage 2.
- Poems should be no more than 20 lines or 150 words and be on the theme of diversity.
- Pupils can continue the Beautifully different, Wonderfully the same poem or start a new poem. Poems can be of any structure and don’t have to rhyme.
- Poems should be recorded on the official entry form (PDF).
There will be a top overall prize and 10 prizes for each category (Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2) in each area. There will also be prizes for the best entries in the Welsh language at Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
Prizes for overall winners:
- A Premier League Trophy visit to your school
- A visit to your school by a children’s author or poet to lead a poetry workshop
- Winning poems read aloud by one of our star judges
Prizes for regional and Welsh winners and overall winners:
- Poems published in an official Premier League Writing Stars book with bespoke illustrations
- An invitation to a national celebration event and the chance to meet other poets and special guests
- A framed version of the winning poems
- Poetry book bags for all winners’ schools
- There will also be some brilliant bags full to the brim with poetry books up for grabs for the first 1000 schools who submit entries!