Mr Barry’s Sports Round-Up: Y8 Boys Futsal

After the success of the girls last week it was the turn of the boys in Year 8.

We were drawn in a very tough group against Walbottle, Benfield and John Spence. 

First game was against Benfield. A very tough start against a team who played very confident futsal from the start. We took an early lead through a well taken goal by Max which came after some good play down the middle.  After a great counter attack though Benfield drew level with a finish at the back post. HMS then grew in confidence with James setting up a goal for Hugo from a corner. Alex came through to wrap it up for HMS late on. 3-1 final score and off to a winning start. 

Second game against a Walbottle side who showed great speed in the counter attack looked like a tough challenge. Again Max got us off to a good start before again HMS conceded quickly afterwards. Harry was growing in confidence and made some great saves to stop HMS falling behind. Then the combination of Will and Will gave HMS composure on the ball. James and Alex became a sensational pairing on the court with James assisting Alex to get a hat-trick which was very well deserved. HMS conceded a free kick goal late on but held out to won 4-2.

Game 3 against John Spence was all to play for, with a place in the semi-final on the line. The game started well with HMS going up 1-0 through yet another Max goal. We then saw the skill of John Spence who made it 2-1 after quick play from the opponents. Hugo then stepped up to score from a deadball before rattling home a second: 3-2 HMS. In the final minute John Spence scored to equalise but we headed through to the semi-finals after a 3-3 draw.

Semi-final time.

HMS were drawn against Richard Coates in the first semi-final. After coming straight off the court from our previous game legs looked tired and an unfortunate own goal saw us fall 1-0 down. Harry was incredible and saved us countless times with some world class goal-keeping. In the last minute of the game the ball found its way to Max who got his fourth of the day to equalise. 1-1 time for penalties.

Goals from Max, Alex, Hugo and Will left it up to Harry to save to send HMS to the county final which he did brilliantly! Onto the final.

Churchill were our final opponents and they scored from a well-worked corner early on. Sam then rattled the woodwork which almost equalised.  The experience of Churchill started to tell and despite the best efforts of Harry HMS were down by four before Max grabbed his fifth goal of the day. A fantastic team goal.

Overall an exciting day of futsal for all and a huge well done to everyone who played! Second in the county on our first futsal game is a great result.

Mr Barry