Y7 Boy’s Football: National Cup, Round 2

Last night the Year 7 boys’ team were in action in round 2 of the national cup. Off the back of their impressive performance against Ovingham in the last round the boys had a tough task in Staindrop Academy.

The boys were all very excited and raring to go following a competitive game against Year 8 at lunchtime. They got off to a fantastic start as a brilliant George pass found the feet of Arthur out wide whose brilliant low cross was turned in at the back stick by Robin! 2 minutes in and HMS were 1-0 up!

Tom C, making his debut at the back, made a few commanding clearances to ensure that HMS stayed on the front foot. This gave the central midfield partnership of Jack and Louis a platform to build on. HMS were denied four times with Staindrop goal line clearances to keep the score at 1-0: first captain Ollie had one cleared off the line before Arthur, George and Ollie again saw efforts denied!

It was not all HMS attack though as in the build up to half time Staindrop grew into the game and a brilliant last-ditch tackle from George denied a clear goal scoring opportunity before Finlay produced a heroic block to keep the score 1-0 before the break!

At half time the wind picked up, so it was going to be an uphill battle keeping the clean sheet. Finley performed heroics at the tail end of the half and it was over to Elliot to keep the opponents at bay.

The half started well with the ever impressive Archie dancing down the wing and firing a low cross which was agonisingly close to the on-rushing William up top. William acted as a great target man holding the ball up and jostling with the defenders!

Staindrop then began to dominate the game with a series of brilliant attempts which brought a flying Elliot into action first low to his left then at full stretch to his right. Staindrop used their height advantage from corners which saw Ollie G clear not one but two off the line!

As the game grew on Robin and Archie combined like a well-oiled machine on the left hand side to try and relieve some pressure. The ever impressive Louis bounced the ball to Jack whose brilliant through ball found Ollie, who was brought down with just seconds to goal. Ollie then channelled his inner Ronaldinho against David Seaman and fired a 30 yard free kick over the keeper’s head into the top corner… what a strike! That made it 2-0 HMS with the final shot of the game!

What an incredible game by the HMS boys who now travel down to St Patrick’s College in Stockton in the next round. We were proud of each of the players!

  • Score: HMS 2-0 Staindrop Academy
  • Goals: Robin BM (2 minutes), Ollie G (60 minutes)
  • Player of the match: Archie H